More than just a good sweat...



On Sunday, my plans to go hiking were shot down by a rare, yet world-halting Southern California downpour--although the rest of you may just call that "drizzle". As much as I love waking up to the sound of raindrop pitter patter on my ceiling (and the smog cleanse), I was a bit bummed that my hike plans were ruined. With the craving for a weekend adventure running through my veins, I was determined to do something with my day off.

I tossed around the idea of taking a class at a studio--Yoga, Pilates, TRX--but I wanted to try something new. My friend, Hunter, who I was supped to go hiking with, suggested we go indoor rockclimbing. Don't have to ask me twice.

We both threw on our Vibrams and headed to The Rock Gym in Signal Hill.

I figured rockclimbing would be something I would be naturally good at: I have a strong upper body and core, I'm acrobatic, I have good balance, I'm good with heights...should I keep going? I was (well-deserved) athletically humbled after my first wall climb.

As with most physically activities, I initially opted for the intermediate route--however, I had to accept that I was, in fact, a beginner. Whew, that was hard.

Rock climbing is so much more than a physically challenging workout. Yea, you sweat (mostly my palms from nervousness), your heart-rate is elevated (mostly from realizing how high up I was) and it works your whole body (muscles I didn't know I had), but it is also mentally and emotionally challenging. In fact, conquering the climb mentally is half the battle--knowing you won't fall, getting over your fear of heights and believing you can make it to the top.

In addition, each climb has a certain route. Each climbing hold is flagged with a certain color. You follow one color, depending on the level of the climb. It's kind of like a puzzle; it challenges your logic and strategy.

I was also wrong when I thought my upper body strength had me at an advantage. You actually use more legs than arms. Of course, most of it is body positioning.

Once I was humbled and corrected, I started to get the hang of rock climbing and loved it. It's a great team-building experience. Hunter and I encouraged each other, helped with color spotting and made sure the other person didn't splat on the floor.



Oh and I almost forgot to mention...HO-LY FOREARMS!

I liked it so much, I would even go on a sunny day in Seattle.






No comments:

Post a Comment